Saturday, November 7, 2009

All around downtown

My experience requesting public records was pretty easy. No one denied me or sent me packing. However, I did encounter some inconsistency in people's training in Sunshine laws.

My first stop was to the Fred B. Karl County Center. I went to the 13th floor (which by the way is actually the second floor, weird) and found the Clerk of Circuit Court's office. I asked Erin Cross for some records on Jim Norman, the county commissioner (and my profile subject). She promptly told me everything I wanted was online and gave me a helpful post it to find what I wanted. I appreciated her courtesy.

The next stop on floor 15 was the Tax Collector's office. Just as described by Preston Trigg in his virtual visit to our class, this place was extremely efficient. They hand you a number, you take a seat, you're in, you're out, and you're done. The only problem was in I approached the county and asked for a 119 request of Jim Norman's tax records. Joanna, the receptionist, promptly asked "What's 119?". As a government worker in an office that works with public records she should know these kinds of terms. I politely explained my request and she was kind enough to print one out for me so that I would not return to class empty handed, however she also suggested I go online for this information.

Stop number three, on the 16 floor was the Property Appraiser's office. This woman was the most difficult to work with as far as her attitude goes, but she did produce a copy of Jim Norman's records after telling me repeatedly "It's all online". This seemed to be a running theme.

The last stop was to the county courthouse. I had to go through a metal detector and then ask for directions to the room where I would make a records request. I finally found the room and then had to fine my own way to to where the records action actually happens. Fortunately, at the end of the line I was met with a nice woman who was familiar with our class. She tried to help me in any way possible and directed me to two records I could print out. Then came the hard hitting truth...the cost!

I paid one dollar a record for two records, and then when I didn't have cash or check I had to pay FIVE dollars to use my debit card. This seemed to crazy to me since most people run on a cashless lifestyle. Why would I be carrying around my checkbook or cash? If I had been warned I would have, but still five dollars is an outrageos charge for such a small convenience. The courthouse need to update their card machines and get up with the 21st century where everyone uses plastic.

I actually really enjoyed the day walking around downtown and seeing these buildings that I had seen on our virtual field trips. Now that I've taken the time to experience the process I realize almost anything from the Fred B. Karl County Center can be retrieved online. And that you should always carry cash when dealing with the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment